Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 243.

Today, I...

saw Nazareth's baby for the first time! Little Jeremy was born three days ago and is a teeny bean of a being. Naza lives in a semi-sketch part of La Carpio (it's the entrance to what's known as La Cueva or "The Cave"), so I was accompanied by two of my other students. The beautiful thing is that both of them also have their own children; Karen has one-year-old Suyen and Ceci has four-year-old Tanya. I felt so out of place, but so honored, to be included in their conversations about childbirth, hospital rooms, and crying the first time they saw their children.
missed my mom's baked sweet potatoes.

realized I am going to miss getting the ghetto-hello-nod from busdrivers in Carpio. Anacortes is such a close-knit community -- I loved being able to walk anywhere and have people greet me by name, often by people I didn't even recognize. The same thing is happening where I work. Whenever I meander down the dusty garbage roads, little girls will leap into my long arms, parents will ask how their daughters are doing in my ukulele choir, younger siblings scream my name from across the street. I've become a part of this place.

learned that my host family is going to take me to the beach this weekend! It's my host dad's birthday on Sunday and my host mom wanted me to make it to the Pacific Ocean one last time (I gently reminded her that I live on the Pacific Ocean, but she then gently reminded me that I cannot swim in my Pacific Ocean).

smiled when I began planning which treasured belongings I'd leave with each girl who gave me a piece of her heart.

- Hannah
PS Enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment