Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 236.

So as you all know, my beloved iBook G4 went to laptop heaven two weeks ago. Because of this, Megan (another volunteer here) generously offered to let me borrow her MacBook Pro for ten days while she was with a team from her church in the States.

YES.

I can't explain what a blessing this has been for me. I was able to update my "Why I love my life" blog with my less hassle, I have access to my footage/photos on my external harddrive, and I got to see my family for the first time in four and a half months! You see, my laptop didn't have a webcam built in...

Anyways, all this skyping with friends and overdosing on facebook has made me begin to really realize that I'll be back in the States in three short weeks. My bicycle will be waiting for me, I'll be living with a mother who believes in a healthy diet, the Pacific ocean will wake me up every day, and I'll be able to stay out past 5:30. All of those things seem so close, so tangible -- so missed.

Then of course, God reminds me about here. About now.

The team from Kathy and Megan's church put on a tea for the girls today. They were given Little Debbies, photos of themselves, and a single red rose. To return their incredible acts of love, the girls and I sang the songs that I've taught them.

As I heard my own voice get swallowed up by my students', my throat started to swell shut. Suddenly it hit me:

This hurt, this homesickness, this longing in my heart for that place that I left behind -- in 21 days, I'll be feeling that all over again. Except this time, I'll be missing Costa Rica.

- Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment