Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 230.

Some days I wake up and think,

"Wow. In four weeks, I'll be back in a bed that fits me. I'll walk downstairs in the morning and see my mother who tells me she loves me in English. I'll ride my bike. I'll go to the library. I'll get a job and make money. I'll be able to eat apples and grapes and ice cream (three things that are crazy expensive here). I'll walk around at night and go to the lake and smell the ocean and see the place that nurtured me into who I am."

Then other days I wake up and think,

"Wow. In four weeks, I won't wake up and immediately see the sun. I'll start to forget what plantains taste like and my host mom won't be there to teach me funny Spanish sayings. My students will have a new teacher. I won't get to play my ukulele for them any more. Babies that were born while I was here will grow into girls and I won't get to see that happen. I'll miss out on first words, first steps, and seeing my students' faces when they find out if they passed their tests or not. I won't be there for them like they've been there for me. I won't be in this place that has changed me into who I am."

- Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment