Saturday, October 10, 2009

Day 52.

Today, I...

...saw a motorcyle store simply called "STD."

...missed indoor plumbing that is what you would call "reliable". In my own home, I can flush the toilet paper down the toilet (which is HIGHLY uncommon in this country -- usually you have to place it in a little garbage can located next to every porcelain throne). None the less, my house has no warm running water (showers are heated by an electric appliance fixated on top of the spout, appropriately called a "widow maker"), and recently the water has been shut off/dirty without warning. Just dandy.

...realized I am going to miss the way people touch here. I think I mentioned that a while ago, in reference to Heather Shainin's sermon from a ways back, but it's true -- people here are just so much closer. The way my tica family interacts is unlike any family I've seen in the States, and the way that young people are constantly in physical contact makes me feel so much more connected. It's like people from the US have an extra barrier in between them that doesn't exist here.

...learned how weird English is. Example: "High School" is phonetically written as "Jaiskul" in Spanish.

...smiled as I was driven home from a late camp meeting, looking out my window and realizing what it means to be alive.

--Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment