Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 49.

Today, I...

...saw Tatiana on the bus, another young woman who was a care free goofball last time I saw her. Today though, she was holding her waling two-year-old son.

...missed Nik.

...realized I am going to miss the incredibly delicious bakeries here. They are on every block practically and there is not a single thing that doesn't taste like a slice of heaven.

...learned that "carpa" means "tent". That's what my tica family calls my new umbrella.

...smiled when one of my students turned to me and asked, "Why are there some US citizens who don't have blue eyes?" I got to explain to her that the United States is actually a mix of all cultures, how my ancestors are from Holland and Germany. "So you mean that people speak Spanish there?" I told her that yes, some people speak Spanish there, mostly Latinos. "And are there dark-skinned people?" It was a glorious moment when I responded with, "Why yes there are. In fact, our president is dark-skinned."

--Hannah

1 comment:

  1. KumKwatts~
    Just watched your video update - the childrens' faces are so beautiful!
    <3,
    *~Amiba~*

    ReplyDelete