Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 167.

Today, I...

saw something wiggle in my comb as I got ready for the day...lice! It turns out I picked up the critters at camp and they just hatched (yes, hatched. Forget eggs, I have full-blown CREATURES in my head) about a week ago, when I thought my head itched because of a sunburnt scalp. After a some what awkward encounter at the pharmacy -- Me: Do you have any lice treatment? Clerk: For a child or an adult? Me: An adult.... -- my host mom lovingly poured searing chemicals onto my head, burning anything that had life. Including my skin cells. All in all though, it was quite the experience and I wanna say those guys are gone for good.

missed NFFTY, that Nation Film Festival for Talented Youth. If you're in the Seattle area April 29-May 3 (one day before I return!), try and get to some screenings. I can promise you won't be disappointed.

realized I am going to miss all the time I spend by myself here. In these last five months I've learned the difference between being alone and being lonely and how you can have one without the other.

learned that Gustavo (the director of the New Horizons sports ministry for boys) spent six months in Spain working with gypsies as a missionary and also grew up in a place very much like Carpio. He told Alanna and I this over his home-made Chalupas while upstairs his iMac slept soundly next to his two-month-old son, Samuel.

smiled a huge smile when Nazareth, a new girl who joined my math class today after not attending the first six weeks, really contributed to the group and was answering questions that my other students were stumbling over. She just turned 16 in November, has a lot of promise when it comes to the government math exam in April, and loves the names Jeremy and Emily. She's also eight months pregnant.

--Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment