Friday, March 26, 2010

Day 219.

Today, I...

saw a very pregnant Nazareth bask in an onset of blessings and humble presents from all of us at the Refuge. We had a very fun baby shower for her in her final moments of not being a mother -- her doctor said the baby is coming any minute. Being around babies so much has made me think about motherhood in a completely new way. Once you have a baby, you are always a mother. That baby can grow into a child, it can move out, it can even leave this earth before you do. You're still always and forever a mother.

missed the beautiful Lenten services at WPC.

realized I am going to miss the royal purple clothes that loosely hug wooden crosses on the front doors here. Lent ends in a little over a week and I'm doing just fine without facebook.

learned that a guard where my host dad works was murdered in his home. My dad asked, "Does anyone know where Carlos has been the last couple days?" A co-worker said almost matter-of-factly, "Didn't you see the news? He was shot and killed out in his house in La Carpio. His funeral is today." I'm thinking of how my host dad probably isn't the only person I know who was affected by the loss of that poor man.

smiled when one of my students handed me a pair of pink bow earring with plastic diamonds in their centers. As she squeezed me tight, she whispered into my ear, "So you never forget me."

--Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment