Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 214.

Today, I...

saw quite the sight when I was with the Mathis family at San Jose's Gallo Pinto Fest. On one of the many stages erected along the packed street (we were one of only three gringo families I saw during our two hours there), a dance competition of sorts was taking place. This is a normal thing that would perhaps happen in the States -- a handful of people are selected out of the crowd to make fools of themselves in hopes of winning a petty prize. We are not in the States. We are in Costa Rica. And in Costa Rica, dance competitions consist of blaring reggaeton beats and sixty-year-old women who try to move like Shakira. I don't know many grannies who would tie their shirts under their wilting bosoms so that their even saggier stomachs could be flaunted in front of friends and family. Pura Vida!

missed late night facebook/messenger chats. Only two more weeks until lent is over.

realized I am going to miss the way my friends pour out their hearts into emails and letters so that I may grow from the way they share their souls.

learned how great Where the Wild Things Are is! My family sent it down to me and I watched it last night for the first time. Beautiful filmmaking.

smiled when I uploaded this picture on my Why I Love My Life blog:



-Hannah

PS I installed the fancy new toolbar on the bottom of your screen awhile back with big plans of holding weekly online conferences where I could hear from all of you readers and tell you about my work, my day, my life. Obviously that didn't really take off. Having said that, I would like to plan an online meeting with anyone who's interested for this Thursday, March 25. I'll be on the chat feature and will have my microphone set up from 7 - 9 pm my time (that's 6 - 8 pm for all you Washingtonians out there). Feel free to swing by, post a question, and be on your merry way. Or tell me about your life! I like the sound of that. See (or should I say hear) you there! :)

1 comment: