Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 213.

Today, I...

saw the Mathis family for the first time in a long time! They arrived safe and sound, thank the Lord, and I went with them to check out their hotel. We ate a dangerously delicious Italian buffet (THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!) and talked about things in Carpio, how stuff is going at church back home, and the way the two tie together. Tomorrow we're going to Gallo Pinto fest downtown -- allegedly all you can eat free gallo pinto! Huzzah!

missed all the teachers at AHS. As Aiden listed off his classes, I realized what a huge impact every one of the staff at my high school had on me. Thanks for that.

realized I am going to miss getting little surprise packages from my fam. Every time some one comes down to visit, I always receive candy, cards, some new music, and good pieces of literature (such as Relevant Magazine). Those things say "I love you" in ways that words never can.

learned a great deal from my book of Lenten readings. Here is an excerpt from Night by Elie Wiesel (an Auschwitz survivor):

The SS hung two Jewish men and a boy before the assembled inhabitants of the camp. The men died quickly but the death struggle of the boy lasted half an hour. "where is God? Where is he?" a man behind me asked. As the boy, after a long time, was still in agony on the rope, I heard the man cry again, "Where is God now?" and I heard a voice within me answer, "Here he is -- he is hanging here on this gallows..."


smiled when I gave my host mom the food processor I had my parents send down with the Mathis fam! She has always wanted one, but they cost way more here than they do in the States. Right now I'm listening to her call up every one in her family, her voice beaming. She keeps saying, "And it's a Cuisinart! It's a Cuisinart! THAT'S WHAT I'VE ALWAYS WANTED!" Love that woman.

-Hannah

1 comment:

  1. first of all...i miss the crap out of you....second of all i need read Night again...third of all I wish I knew your host mom...fourth of all, I met a family from Iowa, but the mom is from Paraguay and they go every two years...bless their hearts...they invited me to go with them...sometimes I forget how amazing people are in this world. fifth of all.....i love you and I wanted you to know that.

    - Connie

    ReplyDelete