Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 36.

Observations:

- To use the oven here is incredibly spendy. Thus, everything is fried. At least that's what my tica mom says.
- I've been playing my ukulele / drawing more. I forgot how great creating things can be.
- Every time I thoroughly scrub my feet, everything that I thought was my Teva tan disappears down the drain.
- Alanna was in Honduras last week, renewing her visa and visiting a friend. She said that the whole country was poorer than La Carpio.
- One more week until October...how did that happen?!
- So I haven't really explained this, but Costa Ricans (aka ticos) are very racist against Nicaraguans. Roughly every other day some one will strike up a conversation with me on the bus. Whenever I say, "No I'm not here on vacation, I'm here working in La Carpio" a sort of grimace will pass over my new acquaintance's face. "Oh," I've heard people say, "there are lots of....Nicaraguans there." I think too that the ticos are embarrassed about La Carpio; it's not exactly something that you want foreigners to know exists in your country. I'm trying to imagine someone from Japan coming to visit the US and telling me that they went to work in the trailer parks of Sedro-Woolley. I'm sorry to say that my reaction would be the same as the ticos' I sit next to.

--Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Hey Hannah, I'm Myles Johnson's cousin...his mom Patty (my aunt) told me how wonderful you are and gave me your blog address. I've been following it and am loving hearing about your adventures and how God is working. I'm actually in Nicaragua this semester, so often some of the observations you make ring very true for me. I've experience my share of the Nica-Tico racism too, only I get the other side of it. It seems somewhat silly from an outsider perspective, but like you said, we have our own prejudices too..

    ReplyDelete