Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 17.

Observations:


-Gringos are loud and talk a lot.

-Alanna (another gringa missionary with CFCI and one of my best friends from Tall Timber Family Camp) was playing a game of concentration with the ten-year-old brother of one of the girls at the refuge. They were taking turns listing off Spanish names (ie Jose, Maria, etc). I approached just as the boy paused and thought for a moment, and then exclaimed "Gorda!" Apparently "Fat woman" is considered a legit name here.

-Have you ever realized how many names/countries end with the letter A? Think about it.

-In La Carpio today, I saw a man carrying around a boa constrictor.

-I also saw Ani, a girl who I knew from six years ago. She's studying in some sort of technical school with her husband.

-When people meet me, this is usually how the conversation goes:

Them: Como se llama? What's your name?

Me: Hannah.

Them: Cuantos aƱos tiene? How old are you?

Me: 18.

Them: Tiene hijos? Do you have any children?

Me: No.

Them: Esta casada? Are you married?

Me: No.

Them: Oh.

-Today I had two girls ask me what "Mai hohm" meant. "Mai hohm?" I asked, very confused. "Si! Mai hohm!" They yelled, expecting me to spit out a Spanish translation. "De que estan hablando? What are you talking about?" I asked. At this, the two of them started dancing, singing a very butchered version of the Black Eyed Peas "My Humps". Yah.

-People have already started putting up Christmas decorations here.

-Hannah

1 comment:

  1. -Have you ever realized how many names/countries end with the letter A? Think about it.

    WACKANDA.
    and i miss you.

    ReplyDelete