Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 14

Observations:

-This morning, on the bus, I was in lazy mode. I'm starting to find a routine and am afraid it's turning into monotony. I tried waking myself up, but it didn't really work.
-I bought stamps today, and in doing so, helped an American woman send some packages back to the States. She was from Louisiana and didn't speak Spanish and in the hour and a half it took to talk to at least seven different postal workers, we found out that we were both raised Presbyterians and both had our parents as high school teachers. I told her I was going to be in Costa Rica for nine months. She told me she had just spent three years in the Middle East working for the military. That woke me up.
-The group of girls I work with during computer classes I also work with in the afternoons, mostly doing math. These girls are taking their exams in May, not October like every one else. We've become some what of a tight-knit group and have been playing lots of educational games I make up on the spot. They're not always the most fun, but they're better than just doing workbooks.
-I've seen this sign all over town: "Einstein was a refugee." I forgot that.
-When I was in Japan, I saw three pregnant woman in the whole two weeks I was there. Today I saw three pregnant women on the same block.
-A lot of the little supermarkets are called "Mini Supermercados" or just "Mini Supers". Say it: Mini Super. Now say it with a Latino accent: "Meenee Soopehr". Nice.
-Sarah (the woman I met at the post office) wanted me to thank my parents asap for making me bilingual. Thanks guys.
-I eat rice and beans every day. Three times a day.
-Sufjan Stevens and Matt Kearney have been making me very excited about my future (they both have songs called "Chicago" and are two of the main reasons I want to go to DePaul...bahaha.)
-A little while back we had a competition with some 8-12 year old girls. The prize for the winners was a black ball-point pen, like the ones you get at the bank. They loved them.
-I don't know if I've said this already, but I'm going to be a camp counselor for five twelve-year-old girls in January. We're going to Roblealto, a camp I went to when I was 12 with the Carpio kids. Now a lot of the boys who were at the camp with me are going to be counselors as well.
-In one of my mom's emails, she asked how I was dealing with the whole "being tall" thing down here. Truth be told, I've had more people call me "Hannah Montana" than comment on my height. Honestly, I'd rather be called "Giant American Troll" than Hannah Montana.
-Oh well.

-Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment