Sunday, December 12, 2010

"No vamos a la iglesia, somos la iglesia."


Today, I...


saw my family's faces on skype -- Happy Birthday Papi! Good Henry story (there's a million of these): my brother found my dad's glasses and wrapped them up and gave them as a birthday present. When it comes to families, I REALLY lucked out. I've only been gone a week and I am far more homesick than I anticipated...Christmas does that to ya.

learned some more Spanish grammar from my host mom. Luckily seven months away from this place hasn't really affected my language skills, but I'm still extremely fortunate to have a teacher who lives with me (I've been saying that since my birth).

realized that this trip has been fantastic and I am so blessed to see people who mean so much to me, but I most likely will not be returning here for a while. This is not just because my travel has suddenly become a nightmare (because of a missed flight, my ticket had to be paid for twice...and then some), but also because I am looking for permanence. During my entire senior year of highschool, graduation was looming and I knew there was a ticking lock on my time with the people that I love. Going into my gap year, I knew I only had nine months to foster these relationships. Then I was back in Anacortes for the summer -- a single season -- and finally I landed in Chicago, a place that has no expiration date. Looking at the week I've spent here and the week I have left, I wouldn't change this trip for anything. I'm just realizing these short visits probably won't happen again. As I've said before, a huge part of my heart belongs in this place so I know I will return, but I've come to understand that Costa Rica is place where I live, not a place I visit.

smiled at the array of produce now in our kitchen that you can't find in the US!



- Hannah

PS Today's quote comes from my pastor's sermon (some of you had heard that he looks like Voldemort. It's true, but he has really great things to say). It means "We don't go to church, we are the church."

No comments:

Post a Comment