Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 152.

Yesterday I had camp evaluations with the other leaders; a meeting I thought would last three, four hours tops. It was in Alajuela (one of Costa Rica's other provinces -- I realized today that I have been to all of Costa Rica's 7 provinces. The fact that the whole country is the size of West Virginia makes this a pretty easy feat), so I got up rather early for a Saturday. Long story short, I got home at 7:30 pm after leaving the house at 5:45 am, riding eight different buses throughout the day and actually enjoying our SEVEN hour long meeting. I fell asleep at 7:45 last night.

The best part of that day? The same bus driver who drove me into San Jose at 6:00 am drove me home at 7:00 at night. The two guards at my gate -- that's right, I live in a gated community if I haven't stated that before -- each work 12 hour shifts. They alternate holidays, meaning one has the day off while the other works for 36 hours straight. Totally normal here.

Today I basked in the glory of cable television (something almost every Costa Rican family has). Let's just say I have a lot of MTV in my system, particularly True Life, MADE, and 16 & Pregnant.

As new volunteers come into Carpio for 2010, it's strange thinking about the other volunteers that have already returned to their homes in the States, living the lives that I've only pieced together through shared stories and facebook photos. As of right now, I have a little more than three and a half months left -- before I know it, I will begin to consider Costa Rica "my other life."

And that's going to hurt.

Luckily though, my "Pura Vida!" friends list on facebook is growing at an incredibly rapid rate. Internet cafes are popping up in Carpio, Jeffry got a wireless card for his laptop, and every night I'm practicing my Spanish with some one online. That's something that I know isn't going to stop when I return.

Friday nights are turning into me and Alanna's "Date Night" where we talk about things that only the two of us can understand: problem students, college fears, Dick's Drive-In, summer camp crushes, and life lessons. We laugh, we vent, we act our age -- sometimes older, sometimes younger. This time, while downing a "Fruit Fountain" consisting of fresh canteloupe, bananas, strawberries, pineapple, papaya, and watermelon, we shared the 5 biggest things we've learned so far and the 3 ways we're going to be different people next time we step into our own country. I think I can sum up pretty much everything I had to say with this simple statement:

I've decided to stop worrying about what other people think of me, and instead focus on what I think of other people.

--Hannah

1 comment:

  1. "As of right now, I have a little more than three and a half months left -- before I know it, I will begin to consider Costa Rica 'my other life.'

    And that's going to hurt."

    Enjoy every moment of every month left, Hannah. It goes too quickly. And yes, it hurts.

    ReplyDelete