Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 147.

Snippits about camp/life/loves:

-I'm going to miss the way people say "Que gringa mas linda! What a beautiful American girl!" when I'm having a bad hair day.
- One week. Five twelve-year-old girls. Two of them can't read. No hot water. No sheets. No pillow. No English. An average of 4.5 hours of sleep each night. Yay camp.
- Kids named Miller and Elmo.
- Pregnant girl at camp.
- Girl finds out she's pregnant at camp.
- My nose ring fell out and closed up.
- For the first time I really realized I only have on grandparent left on this planet.
- Mystery under pressure activity: Sudoku. Have I ever tried Sudoku before: No. Did I pwn: Yes. Do I need my dad to be smart: apparently not.
- 10 Cups of Hot Cocoa in 5 days.
- Agua Dulce. Sweet water. Boiled water with two heaping spoonfuls of pseudo brown sugar.
- Forgot how much preteens love the sound of flatulence.
- Today Alanna gave Jeffry (one of Carmen's sons) a laptop that my parents sent down for him after he had said he had saved a pretty penny to buy one. He was positively beaming. I wanna see his face when he's a dad for the first time, cause I don't think he could've been any more excited than he was today.
- The boy who was living with Carmen's family ran away. He's the one in my video who has the pom pom hat on his face. I don't understand how you can be so happy one second and so irrational the next.
- My girls made me let them brush their teeth after every meal at camp, but I had to repeatedly remind them to wash their hands after using the toilet.
- I want to remember how to connect with people in real life, not just onscreen or online. The people here rejuvenate me.
- Skype = Love.
- Holding people as they cried, not being able to say anything and not needing to.
- My campers have cooked more meals in their twelve years than I will by the time I'm married.
- Girls who have been in gangs know how to pack a punch.
- Watched a man carry a fridge through downtown on one shoulder with one arm.
- Hair Gel is sold in buckets.
- At the end of my rope, grasping for broken phrases that won't come to my exhausted mind. She turns to me. "Hannah, would you please pray for me in English?" Just because some one doesn't express their belief doesn't mean they can't be an answer to our prayers.
- It got down to 55 degrees today. I almost died.
- For whatever reason I found myself singing the entire "Part of Your World" song from the Little Mermaid.
- My host mom gives me Halls cough drops during sermons on Sundays. She asked me who was going to give me Halls when I went back. I laughed, "I can get Halls anywhere in the States." She paused. "I didn't ask you if you can get Halls. I asked you who is going to give you Halls."
- These are moments I'm always going to want to return to.

--Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment