Thursday, December 3, 2009

Day 107.

Today I...

...saw God's love in the warm face of a silent bus driver, peering upturned at a mother and child through an oversized mirror -- watching, waiting, ensuring that the little bum was seated, snug and safe before the bus continued to lurch along.

...missed Tom and Lauren so much! It's amazing how being placed in a foreign place makes strangers so close.

...realized I am going to miss the daily 85 degree weather...

...learned that DePaul is giving me more money! I'm starting my housing application -- it's so weird realizing that my future really is unfolding.

...smiled at this amazing piece of writing from "A Thousand Splendid Suns":

"Let me tell you something. A man's heart is a wretched, wretched thing Miriam. It isn't like a mother's womb. It won't bleed, it won't stretch to make room for you."

While I don't agree with this quote (especially not after seeing my cousin Kit and Chelsea's wedding pictures -- BEAUTIFUL!), I do feel like so many mothers have offered this advice to the girls I teach, and that those girls in turn have/will say the same thing to their daughters. And looking at their experiences, I believe that some of them have reason.

--Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment